Categories
Blog Nutrition

How to Design a Simple, Effective Diet Plan

Most will admit that in order to design a simple diet plan the words lost, confused, and don’t know where to start come to mind. Many will claim they haven’t a clue and either initiate a long and tired search for the “secret” or they leave it to a hired professional, which can still be a gamble at times.

I truly believe we have the knowledge already. It’s 2019, not 1919. We have all the answers in that little computer in your pocket. I think the confusion and frustration set in when we try to make sense of it all. There’s a lot of information out there – too much. We just need a small dose of organization and a heavy load of common sense.

What I have here isn’t some brand new way of thinking (although it may seem new in the current sea of “gurus” touting too-good-to-be-true diets) it’s a simple reminder of how you can implement healthy eating habits in your daily life.

Get in the Right Mindset

The first thing to nail down is to adopt a new mindset. Get into the mental habit of looking at your eating habits objectively. Stay aware of what you’re putting down your gullet. Think that from here on out you will do things differently. There is no finish line – it’s a lifestyle.

 

Make a Divided List of Foods

To keep things super simple, divide your foods into the macronutrients. Think of certain foods and each meal as part protein, part carbohydrate (including fiber), and part healthy fats. Each meal will be some or all of these factors. Make a list of foods for each category. This way you’ll have a nice convenient list to pick from. Make these meals easy to prep and ready to go. Think lean meats, eggs, yogurt, cheeses, oatmeal, wheat bread, potatoes, rice, green veggies, fruits, avocado, nuts, and nut betters.

 

Plan Your Meals Each Day

When you design a simple diet plan you need just that: A plan. Without a sound plan you’ll just be winging it. And you know where that will lead. Choose a protein and either a carb or healthy fat for each meal. Go with three solid meals and two healthy snacks spread throughout the day. Just choose and don’t overthink it. This will be your starting point. You’ll adjust from there. You already know how to eat healthy. You do.

 

Use the 80/20 Rule

Don’t be that 110% guy. First of all there’s no such thing as 110%. Additionally, you can’t go 100% all the time. Give yourself some wiggle room. Try the 80/20 rule on for size. That is stay on course with the diet for 80% of the time and the other 20% is for a little loosening up. Get off the diet for a meal or two and have some food you really enjoy. Keep your sanity. maybe you go hard Monday through Friday and then loosen it up a little on the weekends. Just don’t go too overboard.

 

Just Start and Expect Damage Control

The most important thing you can do is start. Wherever you are on your journey just start. It’s better than making the perfect plan, it’s better then sitting still, and it’s better than diet hopping. Do a little research, make a plan, and then act. Action is the only thing that will put you in motion. Act now. Also, you will screw up. You will fall off the horse. But, just get back up. Simply pick up where you left off.

By Brad Borland

Cancer Survivor, Military Veteran, University Lecturer, Strength Coach, Natural Drug-Free Bodybuilder, Husband, Father

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s