I know, I know, not yet another “hiring a personal trainer” article. I’m sure you’ve read many lists, criteria, and must-haves regarding getting professional help in the gym, but I want to highlight two important things I hold near and dear when I train others. Two things that many trainers (not all!) miss.
Of course all the commonsense reasons still hold up that many have written about countless times:
- Competent skills and experience related to your unique situation
- Some form of relative formal education and/or accredited certification
- Personable/likable disposition
- Distraction free attention to detail
- Organization as well as flexibility and ability to adapt to unforeseen circumstances
I’m sure there are plenty more to list, but you get the idea.
So, let’s get to it. What are the two that I would focus on most when hiring a personal trainer?